Penbrochia Comitatus et Comitatus Caermaridunum by Johannes Blaeu

Penbrochia Comitatus et Comitatus Caermaridunum by Johannes Blaeu

Code: 53574

£295.00 Approx $380.15, €344.22
Qty 

Date: 1645-1648

Copper engraving with original hand colouring. Decorative title cartouche at bottom right, armorials and compass rose, top left.  Overall size : 60.3cms x 48.9cms. Image size : 532mm.x 412mm. Centrefold as published.  Dutch text to verso so possibly 1647.  pp 283/284. Across the top of the map are the coats of arms of local families and the royal arms are also shown. The title cartouche at lower right is flanked by cherubim and is decorated with fish, sheep and cows indicating the produce of the region. Overall toning and half moon waterstaining at bottom margin edge ; fox spot in sea to left of the highly decorative cartouche and one small brown mark top margin well away from map else very good condition.

 "As with all productions of the firm of Blaeu, the engraving and layout are all of the highest standard." Rodney Shirley.

Johannes, Blaeu (1596-1673) was the son of Willem Janszoon Blaeu.  Although originally trained as a lawyer, Johannes joined the family firm and, with his brother Cornelis  took over his father’s business in 1638 . Joannes took on his father’s work as hydrographer to the Dutch East India Company.  He produced many outstanding maps including Nova et Accuratissima Terrarum Orbis Tabula, a world map to commemorate the Peace of Westphalia which brought news of Abel Tasman’s voyages in the Pacific to the eyes of Europe.

Joannes also  greatly enlarged his father’s Atlas Novus, first published in 1635.   At the same time Johannes  was working on his own atlas.  He published the Atlas Maior between 1662 and 1672. It is one of the most prized atlases  ever produced due to the attention to the detail, quality, and beauty of the maps.  He also produced wall maps and some town plans. All this creativity and commerce ceased in 1672, when a fire completely destroyed his workshop and stock. Joannes Blaeu died a year later and is buried in the Westerkerk in Amsterdam.