Long title: Frugiferiac Ameni Herefordiae Comitatus qui olim pars fuit Silurm delineatio. (Hereford County that once was part of the Silurm project). Copper engraving, later hand colouring. Overall size: 36.8cms x 31.6cms; image size : 309mmx 287mm. Centre fold as issued. Watermarked paper. Browning and mottling
around margin edges and a little darkened at bottom of centrefold; one pinprick when held up to the light otherwise very good.
This series of maps were the first in which each county was delineated on a separate sheet. They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map. In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition. The maps were not issued again. The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts. They were the first to carry the new Arms of James 1st with the unicorn replacing the dragon as a supporter.
Fill in this form to email this item to a friend
Fill in this form to send us your enquiry
Please fill in the information below