Januray 6th 1804.Long title: A New Map of the County of Warwick divided into Hundreds. Copper engraving with original full hand colouring. There is a key or ‘explanation’ bottom left showing that the map marks turnpike roads, churches and chapels and parks . Reference to the 5 Hundreds bottom right. Unmounted. Overall size : 49.5 cms x 62 cms. Image size: 443 x 485mm. Centre fold as issued. Large map with glorious original colour. Very good condition but approx 30 town names have been circled , very neatly ; two old, minimal pieces of tape either end of the centrefold on verso; also slight browning with odd mark to the margins. Would be sent rolled.
Charles Smith (1768? - 1854) was a publisher, map and globeseller and stationer. In 1804 he published a map of Surrey which was the first English map to depict a railway. His output was prolific and varied. By 1809 he was appointed Mapseller to the Prince of Wales (later the King). His son and then grandson carried on the business until it was taken over by the George Philip firm in 1916. The Strand premises are depicted in John Tallis' London street views. Worms and Baynton-Williams.
Please fill in the information below