Long title: Caernarvo Comitatus pars olim ordovicum . The first printed map of Caernarvonshire on its own - based on the composite map by Christopher Saxton of Caernarvonshire and Anglesey together engraved by William Hole. Copper engraving with later hand colouring.Overall size : 33.8cms x 29.2cms. Image size: 303mm x 252mm. Title in cartouche bottom right , scale of distance surmounted by dividers. Neptune and a mermaid embrace in the sea, elaborate compass rose. Watermarked paper. Centre fold as issued. Left and top margin augmented with old paper on verso; two edge nicks bottom right margin edge else good condition.
This series of maps were the first in which each county was delineated on a separate sheet. They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map. In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition. The maps were not issued again. The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts. They were the first to carry the new Arms of James 1st with the unicorn replacing the dragon as a supporter.
Please fill in the information below