Long title: Englalond Anglia Anglosaxonum Heptarchia Terra Armis Animisque Potens. Copper engraving with later hand colouring. Overall size : 34.2cms x 33.3cms. Image size: 318mm x 273mm. Title in elaborate cartouche, compass rose bottom left, scale of distance bottom right. Sailing ships and sea creatures. Centrefold as issued. First published in 1607 in the sixth edition of Camden's Britannia, the map is derived from William Rogers’ map of 1606. The place names have been transliterated into so-called Anglo-Saxon script, with a key at upper left that aids in the translation of letters. The large and ornate title cartouche features the seven-scepter symbol of the Heptarchy. The map is further decorated with a superb compass rose, two ships and three sea monsters. Blank verso. The seven-sceptered crown is the emblem of the seven Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. This is the 1610 edition with the numeral one added at lower left. Drawn and engraved by William Hole and in very good condition.
References: Shirley (BI) #280; Moreland & Bannister p. 212.
This series of maps were the first in which each county was delineated on a separate sheet. They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map. In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition. The maps were not issued again. The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts. T
Please fill in the information below