Long title: Universi Derbiensis Comitatis qui olim coritanorum fuit defscriptio. Copper engraving with later hand colouring.Blank back Overall unmounted size : 36cms x 31.6cms ; Plate size : 314mm x 284mm. Title in highly elaborate cartouche with royal arms and lion and unicorn rampant ,the whole surmounted by armour , crown and royal lion. Compass rose, scale of distance .Watermarked paper. On the back of the map are three archival repairs at the top margin and centrefold and top left corner but very discreet.
This series of maps were the first in which each county was deliniated on a separate sheet. They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map. In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition. The maps were not issued again. The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts. They were the first to carry the new Arms of James 1st with the unicorn replacing the dragon as a supporter.
Please fill in the information below