Glamorgan Comitatis by Christopher Saxton and William Kip

Glamorgan Comitatis by Christopher Saxton and William Kip

Code: 54599

£275.00 Approx $343.75, €325.44
 

Date: 1610

Long title: Glamorgan Comitatus, qui olim pars silurum (Glamorgan County, who once part of the land of the Silures).   Copper engraving with later hand colouring. Overall size : 38cms x 32.3cms. Image size: 332mm x 268mm. Title in cartouche top left  and scale of distance surmounted by dividers bottom left. compass rose, monster and sailing ship in the sea. Large watermark surmounted by crown. Centre fold as issued. Beautiful cursive ‘Mare Sabrinianum’  (River Severn) is boldly engraved along the bottom in between the very decorative scale of miles with the banner ‘Christophorus Saxton descripsit’ and the more discreet William Hole sculpsit below.  A compass rose fills the bottom right corner and the sea itself is indicated by engraved dots swimming in which is a monster off Margan coast and off the Gower coast is a fine sailing ship with billowing sails.    There is some inkiness to to the whole map as is often the case with this series and is a C17th flaw occasioned during the printing process.  A minute wormhole is repaired on verso - see photograph else very good condition.


This series of maps were the first in which each county was delineated on a separate sheet.  They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map.  In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition.  The maps were not issued again.  The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts.