Derby

Code: 52456

£95.00 Approx $123.86, €109.32
Qty 

Author: Cole, G.

Date published: 1806

Engraved by Roper, J. Copper engraving ; later hand colouring. Overall size in Overall size in off white fully conservation mount and back with decorative v groove : 38.2cms x 34.2cms. Engraved size 342mm x 191mm. Vignette of St Mary's Bridge and Chapel, Derby top right; Seal of the Town of Derbry bottom left; Reference key to the none main buildings bottom left. Compass rose. Very good condition. G.Cole, the cartographer and J.Roper, the engraver together produced a finely engraved series of county maps and town plans which were issued in parts between 1804 and 1810. The maps were based on the work of John Cary and Charles Smith and were some of the last maps to be published before the arrival of the railways. The town plans are very attractive and delicately engraved with vignettes of the principal buildings and the heraldic arms of the cities and, since fewer were issued, are much scarcer than the county maps.
Derby