Author: Cole, G & Roper, J
Publisher: Vernon,Hood & Sharp.
Date published: 1805Town plan. Copper Engraving. Later hand colouring.Engraved by J.Roper.Overall size in off white fully conservation mount and backing : 38.4cms.x 34.6cms. Image size : 175mm.x 230mm. Vignette of the entrance gateway to St John's Abbey at Colchester engraved by Storer after Prout; Reference key bottom middle for the 8 principal buildings in Colchester; scale of distance and arms of the City bottom right. G.Cole, the cartographer and J.Roper, the engraver together produced a finely engraved series of county maps and town plans which were issued in parts between 1804 and 1810. The maps were based on the work of John Cary and Charles Smith and were some of the last maps to be published before the arrival of the railways. The town plans are very attractive and delicately engraved with vignettes of the principal buildings and the heraldic arms of the cities and, since fewer were issued, are much scarcer than the maps.
Please fill in the information below