Islands in the Neighbourhood of Otaheite by Alexander Hogg Hogg

Islands in the Neighbourhood of Otaheite by Alexander Hogg Hogg

Code: 53939

£55.00 Approx $71.61, €61.11
Qty 

Date: 1770 Circa

Detailed map of the region from Scilly Island and the Society Islands to Queen Charlottes island, from Alexander Hogg's early edition of Cook's Voyages.  Overall sheet size: 38.5cms x 23.1cms ; image size: 353mm x 188mm.  Left margin augmented with old paper, virtually invisible else very good condition with slight overall blueish hue.


Tahiti was first visited by Europeans in 1767, when it was located by the HMS Dolphin by  Captain Samuel Wallis. Wallis remained in the islands near Tahiti from June 19 to July 28, 1767, during a early English circumnavigation of the globe.   It is possible that Tahiti had been previously sighted by Portuguese navigator Pedro Fernandes de Queiros, serving the Spanish Crown, in 1606, but more probably that Queiros sighted La Sagitaria Island (Rekareka), to the Southeast of Tahiti.

Wallis was followed in April 1768 by the French explorer Louis Antoine de Bougainville, completing the first French circumnavigation. Bougainville made Tahiti famous in Europe when he published his Voyage autour du monde. He described the island as an earthly paradise where men and women live happily in innocence, away from the corruption of civilization. His account illustrated the concept of the noble savage, and influenced Utopian thoughts of philosophers such as Jean-Jacques Rousseau before the French Revolution.

 

In April 1769, Captain James Cook made his first visit to the island.  He set up camp at Matavai Bay and stayed on until August, 1769.  On later visits Cook made harbour at Tautira Bay , known as Cook's Anchorage.