Date: Circa 1855
Engraved map with contemporary outline colouring, calligraphic cartouche, inset maps of the world on Mercator's projection and Tasmania, slight dusting to margins. Overall sheet size: 89.6cms x 59.7cms; image size: 803mm x 548. Maps of Van Diemen's Land and the world with British possessions inset. Three states have borders: New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia. Explanation key shows the symbol for Gold deposits and gold discoveries are recorded in dark yellow. Pacific currents are denoted with arrows. Includes the expedition routes of Sturt (1845), Mitchell (1835), and Sturt and Hume (1829) and near the second ‘L’ of Wellington is:’Here Mr Cunningham was killed’.
This edition has an inset of Van Diemens Land and also, unusually, of British Possessions . It was published by’ James Wyld Charing Cross East and Model of the Earth, Leicester Square’, no date and no engraver’s name. Wyld's Great Globe (also known as Wyld's Globe or Wyld's Monster Globe) was an attraction situated in London's Leicester Square between 1851 and 1862, constructed by James Wyld (1812–1887), a distinguished mapmaker and former Member of Parliament for Bodmin (Wikipedia). Tooley Mapping of Australia 1385.
James Wyld was apprenticed to William Faden , taking over the business in 1823 and becoming Geographer to His Majesty (George IV and William IV) and his maps were among the most excellent published in the Nineteenth Century. He enjoyed a very successful career and was a founder member of the RGS but died early from overwork. His son continued and expanded the business having joined his father in the map trade at 18. He became Geographer to the Queen and H.R.H. Prince Albert and was M.P. for Bodmin from 1847-1852 and from 1857-1868. He was master of the Clothworkers Company and worked hard for the promotion of technical schools. Like his father he was held in high esteem and held no less than 17 European orders of merit. He died in 1887 in Kensington. His son James John Cooper Wyld (1845-1907) took over on his father's death but sold the family business to G.W. Bacon in 1892. (Tooley)