London to Carlisle in com Cumberland.
Author: Ogilby, John
Publisher: Britannia,or an Illustration of the Kingdom of England and Dominion of Wales; by a Geographical and Historical description of the Principal roads thereof.
Date published: 1698No 37. Long title:London to Carlisle in com Cumberland...From the Standard in Cornhill LONDON to Darlestons bridge in com Stafford in ye Holyhead road 142:2:thence to Newcastle 7:1 to Brewerton green 13:4 to Grulam to Warrington 10:1 to Newton 5:2 to Wigan 8:2 to Whittle 6:2:to Preston:to Garstang 11:1 thence to Carlisle in Plat ye 2nd 78;1. Number 37 Copper engraving with good hand colouring. Overall sheet size: 51.5cms x 40cms; image size: 412mm x 334mm. Attractive cartouche. N.B. This map covers that part of the route from Darleston to Garstang. The route is shown in six strips, mile by mile, showing every town, village, wood and milestone along the way. Each strip has a compass rose showing north. Archival repair and re-instatement at top right around neatline and into top margin, one other small strengthening at extreme bottom edge of centrefold on verso. Repairs reflected in price. Nicer than it sounds. John Ogilby is regarded by many as the most important name in British Cartography after Christopher Saxton. He was born in Edinburgh in 1600 and led a varied life embracing many different careers. He started life as a dancing teacher and followed this with a spell as tutor to the children of the Earl of Stafford. Next he went to Dublin where he ran a theatre successfully until the Civil War in 1641. He nearly lost his life in the Irish troubles and returned to London destitute. After a time in Cambridge as a literary translator he found favour at Court and was responsible for organising the coronation revels. After another sojourn in Dublin he set up business as a printer and publisher in London but this venture was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. After the fire he was appointed one of four "sworn viewers"" who were ordered to survey those parts of the city that had been destroyed