To the Worshp.l the Master and the Rest of the Gentlemen Bretheren of
Author: Collins, Capt. Greenville
Date published: 1693Long title: To the Worshp.l the Master and the Rest of the Gentlemen Bretheren of Trinity-House Newcastle uppon Tyne. This Draught is humbly Presented and Dedicated by Apt G. Collins Hydro to the King. Nautical chart split into three sections (See Map Collector's Circle no 58 no 32). State 1. Copper engraving by Herman Moll with later hand colouring. Highly decorative cartouche with winged female figures and surmounted by the arms of Trinity House against a background scene of ships and a scale of distance; bottom left two cherubs hold a banner which says: The Depth of the water within the Barr in ye River Tyne in Blyth Seaton Sluce and Sunderland is set downe in Feet, the figures above the line show ye Depth at highwater and below the line lowwater on Spring Tyd's. The entire left side of the map is an inset showing the coast south of the river Tyne. This is 12.1 cm wide and is oriented north. In the top right corner is an inset showing the approaches to Blythe Harbour which measures 29.7cm x 16.3cm. Copper engraving, overall sheet size: 59.7cms x 51.3 cms; image size 552mm x 440mm. Old folds as issued; four repaired worm holes in bottom margin, barely visible; browned on verso from previous framing else important and attractive map in good condition. The Reign of Charles II was interspersed with wars against the Dutch, principally fought on the high seas. It was soon realised that the Dutch navy had access to better sea charts of English waters than the English themselves. Accordingly, in 1681 Charles II commissioned Captain Greenville Collins to make a survey of the coasts of Great Britain, a task accomplished between 1681 and 1687. During this survey Collins completed 120 manuscript draughts, of which forty-seven were engraved for the Coasting Pilot. The engraving was carried out by some of the leading practitioners of the art, principally John Harris Sr and Herman Moll with James Collins and Nicholas Yeates engraving most of the cartouches..see Wardington Library Sale Catalogue 2005.