Tel: +44 (0)1497 820539
Web site: https://www.mostlymaps.com/
Author: John Ogilby
Publisher: Britannia,or an Illustration of the Kingdom of England and Dominion of Wales; by a Geographical and Historical description of the Principal roads thereof.
Date published: 1698NO 90. Long title:The Continuation of the road From YORK to WEST-CHESTER. Plate 2 and last. Commencing at Warrington in Lancashire and extending to Chester 20miles 2 furl. viz. From Warrington to Frodsham 9.4 thence to ye city of CHESTER 10.6. Compleated by the branch from Manchester to Derby 55.4 viz. From Manchester to Stockport 6.2 to Disley Deyn 6.4 to Buxton 10.3 to Lathkel fluv. 6.7 to Brassington 9.4 to Weston Underwood 9.4 & to Derby 6.4. Overall sheet size : 48.cms x 39.4cms. Image size: 436mm x 328mm Copper engraving with later handcolouring. Decorative cartouche. The route is shown in six strips, mile by mile, showing every town, village, wood and milestone along the way. Each strip has a compass rose showing north. Very good condition apart from extremely small archival repair right and left bottom margin edge and tip. barely noticeable on front of map and which would be covered by a mount. John Ogilby is regarded by many as the most important name in British Cartography after Christopher Saxton. He was born in Edinburgh in 1600 and led a varied life embracing many different careers. He started life as a dancing teacher and followed this with a spell as tutor to the children of the Earl of Stafford. Next he went to Dublin where he ran a theatre successfully until the Civil War in 1641. He nearly lost his life in the Irish troubles and returned to London destitute. After a time in Cambridge as a literary translator he found favour at Court and was responsible for organising the coronation revels. After another sojourn in Dublin he set up business as a printer and publisher in London but this venture was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. After the fire he was appointed one of four "sworn viewers"" who were ordered to survey those parts of the city that had been destroyed