Tel: +44 (0)1497 820539
Web site: https://www.mostlymaps.com/
Long title: Glamorgan Comitatus, qui olim pars silurum. Copper engraving with later hand colouring. Overall size : 39.7cms x 33.8cms. Image size: 337mm x 275mm. Title in cartouche top left and scale of distance surmounted by dividers bottom left. compass rose, monster and sailing ship in the sea. Large watermark surmounted by crown. Centre fold as issued. Beautiful cursive ‘Mare Sabrinianum’ (River Severn) is boldly engraved along the bottom in between the very decorative scale of miles with the banner ‘Christophorus Saxton descripsit’ and the more discreet William Hole sculpsit below. A compass rose fills the bottom right corner and the sea itself is indicated by engraved dots swimming in which is a monster off Margan coast and off the Gower coast is a fine sailing ship with billowing sails. One minute repair to right margin and in bottom margin someone has pencilled a hand and the date 1610; a short archival strengthening at extreme bottom of centrefold; extreme tips top left and bottom left missing. There is some inkiness to to the whole map as is often the case with this series and is a C17th flaw occasioned during the printing process. A very good example nonetheless.
This series of maps were the first in which each county was delineated on a separate sheet. They were prepared by William Kip and William Hole and were mainly based on those of Christopher Saxton and Norden. The first issue of these maps was in 1607 with Latin text on the back of the maps and as the paper on which they are printed is rather thin, the lettering sometimes shows through on to the front of the map. In the subsequent two editions of 1610 and 1637 the maps had no text on the back and plate numbers were added to many maps for the 1637 edition. The maps were not issued again. The layout , calligraphy and general appearance of these maps are very similar to their Saxton counterparts.